If you have acne and are not oil cleansing, what are you waiting for? Oil cleansing is probably one of the best holistic ways of getting rid of acne. Continue reading to discover more about the oil cleansing method including why it works, and great tips on how to make it work for you to eliminate acne without any harsh acne treatments.
Using oil to cleanse?
It sounds like something a crazy person came up with and maybe they were a little bit crazy!
If you are struggling with acne, you probably think that any type of oil is the enemy but it is important to remember that the reason that acne develops is complex and still not very well understood.
While it looks that it is mostly those with oily skin who seem to have acne (although it can affect those with normal or dry skin also), you may think that the reason for your acne is the excess oil production by the oil glands under your skin.
Acne is not just because of excessive sebum (oil) that becomes trapped in your pores. It is believed to also involve shed skin cells that mix with the oil and become trapped. When combined with the bacterium that cause acne (known as Propionibacterium acnes ) which release enzymes that lead to the inflammation of the hair follicle, it can lead to acne. Other types of acne are also due to hormone imbalance, stress, etc.
So oil is not the enemy per se although excess oil that clogs pores can help to set the groundwork which is why doing everything you can to ensure your pores are not clogged is key and cleaning is an important part of this.
The oil cleaning method – like eliminates like?
Cleansing is an important part of getting rid of acne but unfortunately too many products on the market fail at this simple task even those that are targeted for acne prone skin. Some may even contain acne fighting ingredients like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide but still not only be able to improve the skin but actually make your acne worse dependent on the characteristics of your skin and the reasons for your acne.
One reason that many of these products are not the solution is that many of them strip the skin of oil. Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide can be very dry especially when products containing these ingredients are used excessively.
By drying out the skin, it actually worsens the issue because excessively dry skin triggers the oil glands to produce more oil to compensate for this dryness leading to more clogged pores which provide the perfect environment for acne causing bacteria to thrive and the vicious cycle continues. Many of these products also contain many harsh skin irritants such as fragrance which can make your skin and acne worse.
This is why the oil cleansing method is one of the best ways of getting rid of acne naturally and without any harsh chemicals that strip the skin. That is not to say that you will not be able to find gentle cleansers that will not strip your skin and that contain good ingredients on the market. I am sure that if you search long enough and experiment long enough, you will find a cleaner that gives your skin everything you need.
But why go through all that when there is something very simple at your fingertips that makes all the sense in the world? It may sound crazy but oil is the best way to get rid of oil. That is the crux of the oil cleaning method. It eliminates the excess oil produced by your oil glands that are clogging up your pores and because you are using an oil, it will not dry out your skin therefore your oil glands will not be triggered into action to produce excess pore clogging oil.
Over time, these works as one of the best ways of getting rid of acne without your acne is of course due to hormone imbalance, stress, etc, and you may need to use other methods for getting rid of this acne such are stress management, balancing your hormones using various methods, etc.
If your acne is due to clogged pores (excessive oil + shed skin cells + bacteria), the oil cleansing method is one of the best ways of getting rid of acne. Do keep in mind that excess oil production can also be tied to the activity of the male hormone testosterone that both men and women have (although men have this hormone in greater amounts than women obviously).
Oil cleaning method basics
- You will need hot running water or hot water in a bowl. You can do this in or out of the shower or bath. You will also need your oil or oil blend and soft clean washcloths.
- You will massage an oil or oil blend preferably into the skin for two to three minutes as this helps to loosen the oil and unclog pores. Take your time to ensure all areas of your face and problem areas have been deeply massaged with the oil.
- Steam your face or apply a warm washcloth soaked in the hot water to your face for a minute or two to further open up the pores allowing the oil or oils to penetrate the pores to help unclog them. The heat helps the pores open up. If using a face towel, once the first towel you use cools, replace it with another one and so on.
- Use the warm towel to wipe all the oils from your face and viola, you are done with cleansing your face!
- You may follow up with a moisturizer or a drop or two of the oil to moisturize your face but this is optional since many people find that their face does not need an additional moisturizer or oil following the oil cleaning method.
What oils to use?
Castor oil is used as the foundation of the oil cleaning method but depending on your skin type (oily, normal, dry or combination) you will use less or more of this oil.
Castor oil is the foundation because it is believed to be the best for using in this method because it has many healing and cleansing properties in addition to being anti-inflammatory which is why it is commonly used in many natural healing methods for various diseases and conditions and not just acne.
Other oils used
Other oils are usually added to castor oil because castor oil is a very thick oil and will pull the skin if used alone because it is not easy to spread. Other oils are added to make the blend easier to use and spread the oil on the skin. Many other oils also contain many healing and anti-inflammatory properties.
Common thinner oils added to castor oil include olive, avocado, grapeseed, apricot kernel, sunflower seed, sweet almond, jojoba, hazelnut, etc.
Best oil ratios for the oil cleaning method
- For oily skin use 30 percent castor oil to 70 percent other oil (sunflower seed oil, grapeseed and sweet almond oil are best)
- For normal skin use 20 percent castor oil to 80 percent other oil (sunflower, grapeseed, jojoba, apricot kernel, sweet almond oil are best)
- For dry skin use 10 percent castor oil to 90 percent other oil (avocado or apricot kernel oil are best)
- For acneone skin skin, the best oils to mix with castor oil are sunflower seed and hazelnut oils.
The above are just a general guideline. Play with the ratios and with the oils to see what works best for you. You can also add a drop or two of various other oils to this blend such as argan, tamanu, neem or turmeric oil (great for acne prone skin), etc.
Important tips for achieving glowing acne free skin with the oil cleansing method
- For those with acne pronone skin, you may want to avoid using olive oil and coconut oil (coconut oil is comedogenic which means it clogs pores). Some people report a worsening of acne when they use these two oils either alone or in a blend. Jojoba oil may also be an issue for some people.
- Keep a large supply of face cloths and clean them well.
- Many of these oils are derived from nuts so you may develop an allergic reaction if you are allergic to nuts. If this occurs, stop and only use oils not derived from nuts (grapeseed, sunflower seed, etc).
- Do keep in mind that this oil can be drying for some people so either reduce the amount used in the oil blend or eliminate it entirely. It is up to you but if you eliminate it, do remember that you will have to wipe your face very well.
- Make sure your wash cloths are very clean and avoid using a fabric softener when you wash them to ensure that they are free of any residue or synthetics which fabric softener will leave behind.
- For best results and for skin beneficial results, only use oils that are cold or expeller pressed, organic and unrefined as these contain the most healing properties without any other additives.
- In addition, this cleaning method is one of the best ways of getting rid of makeup at the end of the day including eye makeup.
- You probably only need to use the oil cleansing method once a day in the evening. All you may need to do in the morning is just wipe your face with a damp washcloth.
Using the oil cleansing method is one of the best ways for getting rid of acne.
Source by Jenny Mays